Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ask the Engineer about Flipping Gutters

In the last several posts I looked at what makes gutter screens, hooded fin type gutter guards, hooded fin type with a sieve trough gutter covers and rain dispersal units work. Now we'll look at what makes the flipping type of gutter work.

Some inventors reject the whole idea of using screens or covers to keep gutters clean in favor of finding better ways to clean gutters. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just empty the gutter all at once safely from the ground?

Gutters that flip just like with the rain dispersal units, the existing gutters need to be removed before the product can be installed.

And now as I think of it, one of the fin types that I discussed in an earlier post also requires that perfectly good existing gutters be removed and replaced with and all-in-one leaf guard. The gutter and the gutter cover are made of one continuous piece of aluminum. If you want to see how effective they are just click here to see photos of them after a year of two of service.

Back to the flip clean system. Existing gutters are removed, special brackets are installed to which the new gutters are attached. The hangers are hinged such that the entire gutter can flip downward and dump its contents by using a long pole to release the gutter. It then can be pushed back and locked into position.

What makes it work is gravity alone. Whatever falls into the gutter is simply dumped. The problems with this device are that you can't see what is in the gutter before you dump it so if you forgot to dump it last year, you might end up with a putrid dam of water on your head. The gutters are also known to warp rendering the invention useless. And of course if you have twenty gutters on your home, each one has to be dumped.

Where the old gutters turned a corner the new gutters cannot. In order to be dumped each run of gutter must be a separate unit which interrupts the smooth clean appearance that continuous gutters normally have. Also second and third story gutters may be very difficult to reach to unhinge.

This gutter flipping approach to cleaning gutters does keep the homeowner off ladders but it certainly doesn't eliminate cleaning gutters or make the chore much easier. Only solid top gutter covers can do that.

3 comments:

  1. I just wants to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Advantageously, the article is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I agree with your conclusions vancouver gutter cleaning and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the extraordinary clarity in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce Biggs_VirginiaDecember 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM

    The "Flip Clean gutters" I've had on my two story house for 13 years have been flawless. I also have them on my 2000 sq ft workshop. I love living in the shady woods, and cleaning the gutters in the fall on both buildings takes me a total of 5 minutes.

    Its so easy to do, I flip them several times during the leaf drop.

    I totally disagree about the warping and the lack of smooth appearance. I have a 50 foot run of gutter on my workshop which is divided into 2 gutters. It's a very smooth appearance. If you forget to clean them and they fill with water, they do not warp. I know a dozen home owners who have them and none have had the warping problem this article suggests.

    Also, you will never have a putrid dam of water drop on your head for two reasons. Number one, your standing back when you empty them, and number two, You clean the gutters so often, sediment and crud never has a chance to build up. So, if I do get a clogged gutter, it's clear water that dumps out.

    I agree a 3rd story may be hard to clean, but 99% of homes in the USA do not have a 3rd story.

    My Flip Clean Gutters have completely eliminated me from having to clean the gutters from a ladder and has made the chore effortless.

    My neighbor has those gutter covers, and in a deluge, I see the water coming down off his roof and shooting right past the gutter and onto the ground like a waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B. Blaisdell, Fredericksburg, VADecember 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM

    I have to agree with the above poster. I have had Flip Clean gutters for for almost 20 years on two different homes, and would never use any other gutter. Our first home was two stories and we never had a single problem with the FlipCleans. Our neighbors envied the ease with which we could clean our gutters quickly after a storm or in the fall. When we built our retirement home, we wanted it to be as maintenance-free as possible and we again installed the FlipClean gutters. I will never have anything else! I can attest to the durability of the product, too~~we never had any issues with warping or the like. I am an older woman, and it is a breeze for me to tip the gutters and complete the whole house task in just a few minutes. My next door neighbors have the gutter helmet and it has been a nightmare--they are now looking into getting the FlipCleans. I cannot say enough good things about this product!!

    ReplyDelete